A plan from c. 1717 labels a series of the quays. One is shown as simply The Key. The lack of a need to qualify its name implies that it pre-dated the other quays. Later evidence identifies that the site of The Key still formed part of the manor lands. Not only would this place this quay in the ownership of the Grenvilles, but it also supports the notion that this would have been the community’s primary quay at an early time. The evidence that Bideford’s earliest recorded shipwrights were based on the eastern side of the Torridge is also consistent with Bideford’s original quay being on that side.