Grant of Land with a Quay in 1587


In 1587 the Lord of the Manor, Richard Grenville (1542 – 1591), gave the newly established Borough of Bideford land on which certain limekilns had stood and on which a quay had recently been constructed. We are not told on which side of the river this quay was, but a plan from c. 1717 provides a big clue. It shows one quay labelled as Established Key. This was therefore a quay gifted or settled upon (an early meaning of ‘established’) the Borough and the only record of that having happened was as part of this gift of land by Richard.